Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Food Glorious Food



A recent Saturday excursion to the Franklin Farmer's Market had me more excited than a sugar addict in a candy store. You know that song...the one that goes food glorious food, well need I say more? It was here that I discovered several local organic farms and was, needless to say, "tickled pink" with delight. Among them was Paradise Produce, a farm that delivers to practically my backyard twice a month. So, of course, I had to give it a try...and blab to all of my friends within a 5-mile radius that they had to try it too!


I pre-ordered my veggies which included a nice assortment of chard, broccoli, squash, zucchini, green beans, Yukon potatoes, carrots and raspberries. A pound of this, a pound of that. Click, click, order complete. When I arrived to pick up my produce, I was astonished by the quality and quantity of my bounty -- richly vibrant in color and superb tasty flavors. Nature's best! And maybe the farmer's pound is more like a baker's dozen for I was loaded to the hilt with food glorious food. From the farmer's garden to my plate. You can't get much better than that.

Now how were two of us going to eat all of this! Well, when in a culinary panic, I always turn to Cooking Light, where I found a recipe perfectly suitable for my produce and my palate! I blanched and froze my leftovers for the week so that I can continue to enjoy them in the weeks to come.

By the way, if you're reading this post, you have to be subjected to my shameless plug, so for more information on Paradise Produce, email paradiseproduce@yahoo.com .

Spring Vegetable Lasagna
from Cooking Light

Ingredients:
Cooking spray

8 cups torn Swiss chard (about 3/4 pound)
2 cups chopped yellow squash
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup shredded carrot
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) grated Asiago cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
6 no-boil lasagna noodles (such as Barilla or Vigo)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375°.

Heat a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chard, squash, onion, bell pepper, carrot, and salt; saute 10 minutes or until tender.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; saute 30 seconds. Add flour, and cook 1 minute. Stir constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook until thick (for about 4 minutes). Remove from heat; add 1/4 cup Parmesan. Stir until cheese melts.

Combine ricotta, cottage cheese, 1/2 cup Asiago, and oregano in a bowl.

Spread 2 tablespoons milk mixture in the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 2 noodles over milk mixture; top with half of ricotta mixture, half of vegetable mixture, and 1/2 cup milk mixture. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread remaining milk mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Asiago cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.

Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes.

Yield 6 servings

Nutritional Information:
CALORIES 308(30% from fat); FAT 10.3g (sat 5.9g,mono 2.6g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 25.8g; CHOLESTEROL 53mg; CALCIUM 495mg; SODIUM 865mg; FIBER 3.3g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.8g
Cooking Light, APRIL 2001

1 comment:

Hollie said...

What a treat this was! I've never used Swiss Chard and found out I really like it. Thanks for sharing Courtney!